Sunday, July 5, 2009

Texas Brisket







When life gives you lemons……

I simply can’t get good pork in southeast Texas. What I can get is lots and lots brisket. They are sold as 10-15 lb packers and, during holidays, will sell for $0.87 per pound for USDA Choice. So, while there is nothing pig related about this post it is what I’ve got.

I got up at 3:30 a.m., trimmed up an 11 lb choice packer and coated heavily in a basic rub of seasoned salt, black pepper, sugar and chili powder. I fired up my WSM and had her running at ~225F. The brisket went on and I was back in bed by 4:30. If anyone is considering a BBQ unit I cannot recommend the WSM high enough. I slept soundly knowing that when I did wake up (8:30) that the temperature was going to be exactly where I left it (I use a ceramic saucer in the water pan so I do not have to worry about refills).

I forked the brisket for entertainment a few times during the day but it was done exactly when it should have been roughly 12 ½ hours later at 5:00 p.m. I pulled the meteorite, let it rest wrapped in foil for an hour and then made a complete pig out of myself with the neighbors.

Hey, what do you know, I worked a pig into this thing after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment