Monday, July 13, 2009

Curing Chamber, Part 1


Part one is done. I found an old frost free fridge at a yard sale and through the helping hands of wonderful neighbors got it moved and installed in my garage.
I removed all the drawrs and shelves, gave the inside a good cleaning and checked how she did at her absolute lowest setting. She cycled between 45 and 60F which would probably be acceptable but I will end up buying an external thermostat to get better control. It looks like Johnson Controls has one that runs ~$65. (Update...just placed an order through Northern Brewer for $67 including shipping.)
As for humidity I plan on using the salt water pans. I have heard some negatives and some positives about this approach. If anyone has insights to share I would love to hear them.

8 comments:

  1. The humidity issue can be a real pain. The ultrasonic humidifier is the best option. However, I have gone through 2 humidifiers in 6 months, I'm not sure if you have to go with cheap ones and discard them frequently or get a top of the line model. Right now, I am hanging a wet rag in my chamber as I try to make a decision about the machine. The salt water pans will work well, but, you really need to babysit them. Also, I'm sure you read Jason Molinari's blog, you pretty much get your hand held.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the input. I am not sure I have read Jason. Will make sure to read up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replying to my own dumb comment...oh, yes, that blog. Yep...I have read through. Hope he starts posting again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I decided. I purchased a hygrostat. Coincidentally, the same model as Jason uses in his blog. I also purchased an inexpensive 2 gallon humidifier. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ever thought about hooking an ultrasonic up to a cheap timer(X-mas lights, etc)? Maybe have it set to go off for 15 minutes per day?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish that were possible. But, in order to maintain the high RH, the humidifier must be blowing almost constantly. I bought the cheap humidifier to see how well the hygrostat works in conjunction with it. It's just as easy to hang the wet rag. But, I want to be able to get away from the meat from time to time. We'll see how it plays out. I would love to just set a timer, time will tell.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i bought a digital ultrasonic humidifier on amazon that has a detachable hydrostat and temp sensor, and you are able to set the humidity level so it turns on an off automatically
    model # su-2081b brand- SPT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kristin, that is the exact model I blew through 2 of in less than 6 months. I think their hygrostat is not well calibrated. The two I had I set at 75%, they never actually turned off.

    ReplyDelete