Saturday, March 6, 2010

Andouille


I'm playing with andouille sausage..I won't claim it to be perfect but it is pretty darn good.
2387 g pork butt
36 g salt
10g black pepper
4 g paprika
2 g red pepper flakes
2 g thyme
100 g diced garlic (5 Tbls)
1 tsp cure #1
The pork was cut to roughly 1 inch cubes, mixed with the seasonings and cure and rested in the fridge for two days. I turned the mixture every 12 hours or so.
I diced about a quarter of the pork and ground the rest. The ground pork was mixed with 1/2 cup ice water for a couple minutes with the stand mixer and then the diced pork was folded in. I got four good ropes of sausage as well as two nice sized links. I grilled the links with some pecan wood thrown on the coals to get the great smoke color. The ropes with be treated with a little more care. I'll slowly smoke them for ~4-5 hours to get the true smoke flavor andouille requires.
This does not have as much red pepper as most andouille recipes as I wanted my family to be able to enjoy it. Still, it's a pretty good sausage.

3 comments:

  1. My mouth is watering! These look great. I hope to get back to some more sausages once my free-time has re-increased. Are you smoking the long-haul with pecan or just when grilling? Don't be afraid of the heat of the peppers, it keeps the rift-raft away ;-) and leaves you with more for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for stopping by and sharing the kind words.

    I also smoke for several hours with pecan. I have a few large trees in my backyard that are constantly dropping limbs. A handy supply.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,


    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    Vincent
    petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete