Sunday, November 29, 2009

Bresaola success




I got back in town after a week of wretched excess in Louisiana and checked on the goodies in my curing chamber.

1. The lonzino quickly got pitched in the trash. I am just too damned tired of fighting the green mold on this guy. Life is short, move on.

2. The bresaola had achieved a 42% weight loss and was covered in a very pretty white mold. I know that this mold is probably edible but since I was going to get the boy to eat some with me I simply didn't want to have a discussion about "white stuff". I was too tired. So I trimmed off the outer quarter inch and while doing so discovered that this was one BEAUTIFUL piece of meat. I wish I was more eloquent so I could describe just how incredibly gorgeous this dark red pile of protein was. Almost the color of dark cherry? Smelled wonderful. I had some plain and thinly sliced. It was enjoyed by me and the boy. I later fixed a small plate sliced thin with a fresh Meyer lemon out of my yard sliced even thinner and fresh cracked black pepper. Delicious.

Thanks to everyone who has blogged about this and offered advice, tips and suggestions. I started a new one today!

2 comments:

  1. No pics? If you case it, you can avoid having to cut that outermost layer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott, updated...I hate messing with the camera, something so simple should not be so complicated.

    I get you about using casings. My main concern is that when I truss the casing I might be fighting the same green mold problem I fought when I trussed the meat. I just have a massive aversion to string right now. I will work through it. Will probably pick up some 90 or 100 mm casings this week. My MEK4 has been ordered.

    ReplyDelete